Thursday, January 8, 2009

What were we thinking???








Okay so Josh has been begging (that may not be the right word, maybe pleading his case would be better) for months to get a BIG dog. He has poured over the classifieds and craigslist til I thought I might kill him. He has read tons of stuff, taken tests to see what the perfect dog for us is, and spent hours doing "research".

My cynical side (the side that says, "Seriously....... can I take care of one more living thing?", or "Don't I have enough poop to deal with on a daily basis?") was against the idea of getting another dog (we have a Maltese named Scout already). Plus BIG dogs are alot of work, they need lots of exercise, and their poop is BIG.

Well after months and months of listening to Josh's "research", he showed me a picture of one of cutest dogs I've ever seen and right then my heart melted. I had never heard of a Golden Doodle (have you?), it's a cross between a standard poodle and a golden retriever.
She is stinkin' cute, but our first night with her left us wondering if we have made a huge mistake. I've had newborn babies that are easier to deal with from 11 p.m.- 5 a.m. than this dog. Last night was rough, Josh spent most of the night on the couch next to our new "baby". If she isn't around us, she likes to bark and howl. We are hoping to become experts in dog training and have her whipped into shape in no time. Her name is Gabby, she is 18 weeks old, she has a lot to learn, and I have a feeling she has a lot to teach us.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You are brave - that all-night aspect is enough to make me say "Never!" But I bet you all love her and it will get easier soon and be worth it!

Natalie said...

All I know is that Owen will be all over that dog on his next visit! Can't wait to see y'all.

Luke Mundy said...

Oh... Sarah's going to flip out when she sees this! She wants a goldendoodle so bad!

Tucker's St. Bernard's said...

You can do it...hang in there...tell him to take the advice of the Dog Whisperer "Doug"...it'll work great!! I have faith in you! If you want you can give it to us for a few days, we will get her trained... ha!

The Tucker Family said...

You will be in our prayers! She is adorable though! Mark bought a puppy 5 days before I had Madison and I thought I was going to CRY! And of course I was the one to sit up with her every night...I guess in reality it prepared me for my first new born!

andrea said...

Oh my goodness! She looks so big to me! Is she? I hope the sleep gets better! It is so hard to listen to them whimper like that all night! I love her name! I guess Gabby is out if you are having a girl!!!

Kathy said...

congrats and good luck! :)